Sunday, July 15, 2012

Where did it all start? Sophie's story


Where did it all start? Well, it all started with a cup. A menstrual cup that is. Yes good start on a new blog, uh? But it’s true, I started being aware of the environment and what I could do on my part with a menstrual cup. See my best friend was in this student women’s group and they sold Diva Cups. At the time there was this policy of satisfaction guaranteed. I have never been unsatisfied though! It’s been 6 years now, and still loving it! (I might write another post on benefits of a menstrual cup later on a separate post)

My friend, though, seemed to me so intense at the time: she was using glass containers, bamboo utensils, using homemade cleaning products, buying more organic foods, making most of her food from scratch (and it looked good!)… Wow, for me it was of a “she’s really neat but I’ll never be able to do that”. Well here we are and I do that (except I kind of fell of the wagon of homemade cleaning products…). I realized as I tried the cup that maybe it was worth pursuing the other options. Although it was a money commitment to try those new ways, it still worked so wonderfully with the cup, the other options might surprise me. I also met other people who were into the more natural, less negative environmental impacts. This led me to believe maybe they were not crazy, and that it might be worth a try!

So after the cup, came the natural household products. To me it seemed easier and cheaper to do that. Easier because there were less product change involved. Cheaper, because well you (ok I) don’t buy that many cleaning products during a year so it was a small money commitment. It was still expensive in the sense I transitioned from dollar store cleaning products (yes I just flinched too) to natural products I could find in grocery stores. Before I switched, I always needed to wear gloves to do the dishes. My hands would look horrible after washing without gloves. But as I switched to natural products, my hands looked so much better, I did not even need gloves anymore! I think that contributed with getting over (very progressively) with my hating cleaning the dishes!

Things got cleaned in the same way as they did before, but my hands looked much better! I thus started being hooked up on natural things. I started to read more about it online… (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment